X-rays are a primary tool for early identification of dental problems. Detecting issues with x-rays before they become problematic can save you financially in the long run. Early detection can minimize and prevent the need for more extensive, or expensive procedures or surgeries.
X-rays are primarily used to detect:
- Internal tooth decay/cavities
- Cysts (fluid filled sacs at the base of your teeth)
- Tumors, both cancerous and non-cancerous
- Impacted teeth
- Teeth that are still developing
- Check the health of the bone surrounding the teeth
- Monitor good tooth health through prevention
At The Elmwood Dental Group LLC, we use digital x-rays, which have several advantages over traditional film based x-rays. Digital x-rays allow us to take x-rays with 50–70% less radiation that you would receive from traditional dental x-rays. The worry of exposure to excess radiation is eliminated.
Benefits of Digital Dental X-rays:
- We have a secured HIPAA backup facility where the dental images are stored on a secure backup system
- Assists with insurance claims as we are able to submit your x-rays to your insurance company digitally
- Digital images are more detailed to help compare, contrast and adjust the x-rays brightness to assist in the enhancement of the x-ray
- Digital means no chemicals. We want to look out for the environment, and digital helps to eliminate the chemicals once used to process traditional x-rays.
- Our secured emails and x-rays allow us to email a specialist so they can have the x-ray and purpose of your visit even before you arrive at their office
- Large on-screen x-rays make patient communication more effective. The immediate observation of the images on the screen allows us to discuss your dental health quickly and accurately
- For patients with a gag reflex we have the advanced technology to take extraoral bitewings